Views
Helpful
Replies

Home Networking Help

carleokj
Level 1
Level 1

Friends,

I need a little help in configuring a home Internet Connection (diagram link below). I have successfully set up RIP within my network of 2 switches and 3 routers. I can ping all the way to the distant end FA port (192.168.2.2). I can ping the Microsoft Broadband Wireless BaseStation Router (192.168.2.1) from the distant end FA port as well, but when I attempt to ping from my workstation, I am unsuccessful. I CAN ping 192.168.2.2 from my workstation though. Any thoughts?

Here is a link to my diagram:

http://www.kevincarleo.com/CarleoHomeLab.jpg

3 Replies 3

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Carleokj,

I am sure your Microsoft Broadband Wireless BaseStation Router does not have a route back to your workstation and that is the reason your are not getting a ping reply from 192.168.2.1 when you try from your workstation.

Yes you are and you will be able to get a reply when you try from distant end FA because it is directly connected to Microsoft Broadband Wireless BaseStation Router and it will know how to route traffic back to its directly connected interface.

If possible just enter a route on Microsoft Broadband Wireless BaseStation Router back to your workstation and you will get a ping reply.

If by any chance you cannot configure your Base station router with static routes back to workstations the best way will be configure NAT overload on your Router A so that any traffic moving out from that router will have source ip 192.168.2.2 in this way base station router will be knowing how to reply back as Router A is directly connected router and finally router A will again translate back to te original ip from where the request came.

HTH

Ankur

Thanks for the reply Ankur.

Do you (or anybody else here) know how to manually configure and/or get into the routing Table of a MN-540 Microsoft Broadband Wireless BaseStation?

Hi Carl,

I think the best option will be to take help from Microsoft tech Support as they will be the best person to help you.

But I am sure your problem is same as I mentioned in my first post.

You can also post tech questions about this route on this forum

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

HTH

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card