cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How Can I Log Router Log Ons and Changes Made

tereubencisco
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help me? I need a means of logging who logs on to the Router and at what time. Then I also need to log all changes made during each person's logon session (in form of configuration change).

Also, when a user connects to this my 3660 Router through PPP, I want to be able to have a log entry telling the username that logged on, the time he logged on and when he logged off and the systems on the network the user accessed during his session.

I want this log to go to a central Computer Server in a format that can be easily read by my Management / Audit Unit at any time.

What are the Software options that I can have for installation on my Server? How do I configure my Router to send logs just the way I want it?

I got a trial version of Winsyslog which I am currently trying out. But I dont think this meets my needs cos all I get as log are interface state changes from DOWN to UP and nothing more.

What suggestions can anyone give me please.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

r.docuyanan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you want a detailed logging and accounting. Use should use a RADIUS or TACACs based AAA server for

Authentication(Who are You), Authorization(What can you do), Accounting(What have you done). All these details can be monitored and logged using a AAA server. Cisco has TACACs Cisco Secure ACS software.

If you have a large number of routers, it is advisable to use an AAA server.

check this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2086/index.html

it will tell you all about cisco secure

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most Cisco routers can not generate the kind of information you are asking about to syslog. I did test at one point with a Dial Access AS5350 which has a feature called Call Tracker which does send to syslog and includes most of the information you mentioned (but I found the Call Tracker output quite cryptic and not in a format that could be easily read by your Management/Audit unit).

The way to generate the information you are interested in is through the aaa accounting function. It does a very good job of identifying who logged in on what device at what time. It has options to record the commands that they issue. I have configured it to record the ID that was authenticated from ppp sessions. I am not sure that it would tell you all the remote systems that were accessed. The accounting records from various routers do go to a central server which processes the accounting records and produces various reports.

These functions are built into the IOS. You would need a server to receive and process the accounting records. The servers that I have had experience with in doing this were running tacacs (the Cisco ACS product includes this).

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card