cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add Internet2 routing to MPLS VRF network

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Have an MPLS multi-VRF core network with Internet access today within the VRFs. An Internet facing 7507 router with partial Internet Routes originates default route for Internet 1 traffic into the VRF's, and a VRF attached CE router will follow this default through the MPLS core, through it's firewall and into this 7507 Internet Border Router. We have a new request to add Internet 2 access for one of the VRF's and I'm curious about the best design that will allow access to I2 routes without propagating full I2 routes to the CE router, and whether I can take advantage of the existing default route for both I1 and I2 traffic. Only subscribing Internet 2 CE's should be allowed to get to the Internet 2 routes.

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Each VRF instance is on its own, as if multiple instance of the routing protocol is run on the router, with separate secure VRF tables for each instance. So all you need to do is inject the default route through each VRF instance.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks for your reply. Today I have four VRF's. My 7507 Internet Border Router originates default (0.0.0.0) into each of the 4 VRF's. CE routers in all 4 VRF's follow default to the 7507 IBR to get to Internet 1. I'm still struggling with how to implement Internet 2 traffic into say, VRF A, and within VRF A, to subscribing CE's only. I would like to have this control without propagating full Internet 2 routes down to the PE and CE levels.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card