cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to clear VTP Names

gilson_machado
Level 1
Level 1

Does any one knows how to clear the VTYP domain name from a Switch Cat2950? I tried many different commands, including clear the database and looks like it is not working.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Hello,

I think you need to clear NVRAM and reload the device in order to get rid of the name. Not sure about this, but you could try to put the switch into transparent mode...

HTH,

GP

Hi,

AFAIK, VTP domain name is saved in two places in Cat2950:

vlan.dat file and "vtp domain ...." command in the config.

You cant't remove the "vtp domain ... " line from the config, "no vtp domain ...." doesn't work, you can only get "vtp domain NULL" (which should be equivalent to empty domain name, I hope).

If you really need to clear the VTP domain name, you could try to move the switch into transparent mode,

download the running config into your PC, remove the

"vtp domain ...."

line from the file manually and upload the modified file to the switch startup config.

Delete vlan.dat file and reload the switch then.

Good luck,

Milan

Hi Milan,

Based on what you explained I did the following:

- Rename the file vlan.dat to vlan_old.dat

- reload the switch

- There will be a question if I want to save the changes - answer yes

- When it finished I did a "sh vtp stat" and the switch return on server mode with configuration revision number equal to zero, and no name for VTP domain

You need to take care if the switch is part of a complicate topology ( with redundant links) but if it s in a simple topology it can be done. It will be necessary to schedule an outage for the network.

Thanks,

Gilson

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card