cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to remove ether channel on Catalyst 6506

tmondoy
Level 1
Level 1

In setting up trunks on a Catalyst 6506, I inadvertantly added an ether channel while playing around with the config. I have it turned off for now but wanted to know how to completely remove it from the config. Anyone know how to do this? It's in this section of the config:

#port channel

set port channel 5/3 575

The only thing I've been able to do is turn it off:

set port channel 5/3 mode off

but I really want the whole line to disappear from the config somehow. Would like to know how to do this.

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Once you issue an etherchannel command, there is no elegant way to remove the admin group assignment other than issuing a clear config for that module and applying whatever config you want. Also note that all ports have admin groups assigned and it can be seen by issuing a "sh config all".

Having said this, there is no issues with having admin groups assigned.

You can remove the "set port channel 5/3 mode off" using "set port channel 5/3 mode auto".

Thanks for the response - I'll let the config stand as is. Does turning it off or putting it on auto affect the speed of the traffic to the devices on that trunk? This site has 2950's attached via fiber links to the 6506. The 2950 attached to this trunk is slower than the 2950's attached to the other trunks. Could setting the port channel in off mode affect it? Is it better than I put it in auto mode? The other trunks don't have this on them but I'm wondering if I should reverse my thinking on this and just put it into auto mode.

If you do not want a link to be an etherchannel, you would be better off turning it "off". With auto, if the other end is set to channel mode "desirable", the link would become an etherchannel.

I would not expect off mode to have any performance issues.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card