Views
Helpful
Replies

How to strech LAN across Data Center over internet

s_colombo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I've the following question regarding how to implement a DR Site.

We are to be able to offer a DR site for our customers .

The Basic Idea is to link the customer's site and our DR site through a VPN based on ASA appliances

At the customer site a software based replication solution will mirror virtual machines to the DR site

Now the problem :

We need to "strech" the customer LAN into our DR site , each customer will have its VLAN , because in case of problem the VM in DR will be turned on and need to be reachable by customer clients

Is that possible with ASA ? Otherwise how can we accomplish that?

Thanks

Stefano Colombo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

See below a recent discussion on the topic. ASAs do not support a layer 2 VPN tunnels.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3730438#3730438

As one of the posters suggested in this thread have a look at deploying routers with GRE/IPSEC tunnels.

Cheers

Sean

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think over Internet is good and scalable data center interconnect solution

Do you need to extend L2 vlans between the two data centers ? Or only some sort of hello messages needed between the active and standby VMs ?

If L2 is required then you need to consider a better and different option for this DCI such as L2 p2p link, or l2 over l3 network such as L2tp, OTV and this is something relay on the used HW as well

Unfortunately the connectivity must be through internet as we have to provide it as a service for our customers

We need to create , possibly , a L2 tunnel for VM replication and DR without having to reconfigure IP Addressing and routing

Thanks

Hi,

See below a recent discussion on the topic. ASAs do not support a layer 2 VPN tunnels.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3730438#3730438

As one of the posters suggested in this thread have a look at deploying routers with GRE/IPSEC tunnels.

Cheers

Sean

Well this a bit complicated especially if it's gonna be used for several customer

First I would suggest you to discuss it with a local cisco se/sa for a recommendation

And as I mentioned above you need to consider a l2 tunneling technology over l3 taking into consideration the HW used

hi , can you provide links to l2 over l3 reference architecture and documentation ?

I need to start looking at which hw can provide such functionality

thanks

If you must transit over internet you can use mpls over gre tunnel and activate eompls with qinq over pw.

This work but the performance isn't guaranteed.

Isacco

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card