cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HP Jetdirects and Vlans

nevjam
Level 1
Level 1

I have a HP 4050N that is shared via a NT 4.0 sp6a server. I've recently moved the server into a different vlan than the 4050. Since doing that I lose communication with the 4050 on a regular basis. I have to re-create the port on the server for it to work.

I've posted a message on the HP site and they've pretty much said that the switch is loossing the mac address.

Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions on a possible fix.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

gwoodyard
Level 1
Level 1

If the switch is loosing the mac addr, then try this as an experiment; open a DOS box and leave a ping -t x.x.x.x running. See if you loose the printer then. If you do then you are not loosing the mac. A switch will flood a packet to all ports if the mac is not in cam.

Your workstation should arp for the address and get the routers address. The router should also arp for the mac on the subnet where the printer is and get the mac for jet direct inside the 4050N. Check for duplex mismatch and layer 1 errors on the ports. Hard code speed and duplex on everything.

hope this helps...

I've seen JetDirect problems before, especially with Cisco switches. It wasn't an NT problem, it was to do with syslog and font download as a unix remote printer. If I inserted a shared 10Mb hub the problem went away. Searched the open forum and found an article on there that stated that only one model of JetDirect would work reliably with all protocols, have a look on the open forum.

HTH

david.d
Level 1
Level 1

We too are losing the print server from the mac-address-table after a short period of non-use. One thing I have noticed from the self test is all subnet information is correct but from the Web JetAdmin view, only the IP address shows up on the print servers that fail to stay up. On our print servers that are running over subnets (VLANs) the Web JetAdmin view displays the subnet mask and default gateway correctly.

This indeed may be a hardware issue with HP. Still searching for details.

david.d
Level 1
Level 1

OK, to keep the mac-address-table populated select the interface in question and enable port security. This will hold the mac address. Otherwise, enter static mac addresses. I'm still looking into why this is an issue. Many of our JetDirect print servers are working fine, a few are not.

jrbattles
Level 1
Level 1

We are seeing the same MAC address lost in the CAM table for HP 4050s and also Canon Printers. Anybody found a solution yet?