Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and configuration

johnleeee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have question about configuring HSRP on routers.

Is it possible through HSRP process copy configuration from one device in configured HSRP group to other device in the same HSRP group.?

So both will use the same configuration.

rg

jl

5 Replies 5

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

HSRP is not a configuration synchronization protocol. There are features (like NAT) that can allow state information sharing between two routers configured for HSRP but again you have to configure the routers as individual entities.

In short you cannot have two routers with the exact same configuration. What are you trying to achieve?

Thanks for comment.

I need to achieve same configuration on both routers

connected to internet. We use HSRP for redundancy on

both routers (same HSRP group). But I dont know how to achieve same configuration on both when I do change on one of them. HSRP only change information about active state and passive state both routers.

I dont understand what you meant about NAT that can allow state information sharing.

Could you explain me this?

rg

jl

Like i said earlier you cannot use HSRP to do a configuration synchronization. There is no way that i am aware of that will let you make change on one router and duplicate it on the second one. Why do you want the two routers to have the same configuration? Can you explain the whole setup and your requirements in detail.

HSRP can have issues with NAT because NAT involves maintainin a translation table. NAT support for HSRP allows this translation table state sharing between the two routers configured for HSRP and in turn even allows asymmetric traffic flow to work as the NAT translation table is synchronized between the two routers. Note that this feature has nothing to do with your requirement and i just explained it because you asked for clarification.

nikhilgupta
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Configuration syncrinisaton is not possible using hsrp. However why would you like to do something like this?

Would apreciate if you could let us know your main requirement and also tell us something about the network setup that you have.

Regards,

nikhil

Hi all,

what I meant is, only hypotheticlly do

on router like on firewalls with statefull failover

to share informations.

rg

jl