cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP router config synchronization.

cjjones
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to automatically synchronize the configuration between two HSRP routers? TFTP would work fine if there was a command that you could issue that would leave the HSRP configuration alone. Obviously this is a problem because you end up with priority and ip address conflicts with a straight copy of the file.

8 Replies 8

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I dont understand the need for synchronizing the configuration between 2 HSRP routers.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I have two 7507's with a few hundred frame relay pvc's on one. In order for us to save comm costs, I use a T-1 matrix switch to move the WAN connections to the standby router if the active router fails. We are constantly changing the configuration on the active router. For example, static routes, pvc adds, deletes and changes. I only run HSRP on the ethernet ports that are connected to a DMZ for the simple purpose of detecting a catastrophic failure of the active router, such as a crash, etc. Instead of making a "WAN configuration" change on the active router and then having to manually do the same on the standby router, I would like to have some sort of an automated update process for the change to get done on the standby router.

I assume, this is what you have here...

ON the wan side, frame connections first terminate on a T1switch matrix from where you can decide on to which 7500, the connections should go. So you have the 7500s attached to the switch matrix.

Why not configure and keep the same configs and static routes in both the 7500s, except for the HSRP configs which would differ on both the 7500s on the lan side. This way, when the primary fails, the switch matrix can be used to failover to the standby 7500 and that will continue to serve the wan connections.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

That's exactly correct and what I want to do. I was just wondering about automating the config changes that are made to the active router.

I assume, that the changes you make when the active fails, are adding a pvc (interface configs) as well as static routes. But my point of previous discussion, is that, you could configure all this on the standby before hand, so that when a failure of active router occurs, you just need the switch matrix to switch over to the standby unit. Its just plug n play. Let me know, if i misunderstood whats on your mind.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

We're both on the same wavelength..... I was just fishing for opinions/solutions on automatically updating the standby router with config changes made on the active router. I've had several suggestions of writing a perl script to run once a day that would do this. Your thoughts?

warren
Level 1
Level 1

Um, there is likely to be much more than just the differances on the interface with the HSRP (presumably the other interfaces have different IP's, the different routers probably need different routes, etc). The best way to do this is going to be manually. If you REALLY don't want to, you are going to have to resort to something like a perl script on the TFTP server, but this is error prone and messy. Just bite the bullet and manually make the changes on both routers.

Actually, it's just two ethernet ports that are different. See my reply to the previous and let me know if you still think the perl script would be a bad idea.