Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP!!!

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I have this situation.

We have a 4xMSFC in the main office on which we configure hsrp to one address using 1 MSFC as active and 3xMSFC as standby and this is ok.

The main Core Switch is the VTP Server.

I have extended the main office to a branch office over a WAN Link and at the branch office we have 3xCat3550 EMI. I have configured all these as clients to the main office server so that we can pick up the same vtp structure.

Now on these 3 Branch Switches, I want to configure an HSRP for the 3 switches as I don’t want traffic going across the LAN all the time so will like to use the HSRP of the 3 Brach switches as the gateway, Is this possible?

For e.g. I have created VLAN xxx. And have given them all corresponding ip address on all 4xMSFC and 3 x Cat 3550. In the Main office where the MSFCs are, we have an HSRP of 1.1.1.1 and I would like to have another HSRP in the branch office on the Cat 3550 of 1.1.1.2. This is so that the devices on the Cat 3550 use the 1.1.1.2 and the devices in the Main office use 1.1.1.1.

Is this possible and is the configuration sound and ok

2 Replies 2

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

I feel that it is not advisable or securable to have same subnets across the WAN, better you can go 3 subnets for MSFC, WAN, 3550 and do 2 vlans one in branch office and main office .If you want to reach any server from branch office to main office go for intervlan routing

gaban
Level 1
Level 1

If you have 4 msfc you should load balance the active MSFC across the 4 msfc. My thinking is why not use the others instead of just leaving them IDLE.