Views
Helpful
Replies

IE 400 Switch configuration

nikhilpatil08
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to design a small network that has some limitations such as Only one port to Router. But I need to connect the 2 IE switches as shown below. Is there any way in switch configuration can be used to achieve this.

nikhilpatil08_0-1668598734685.png

6 Replies 6

nikhilpatil08
Level 1
Level 1

correction it is IE4000 Series switches.

PabMar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nikhilpatil08,

This design is just device daisy-chaining with L2 extensions. No redundancy on this design. Essentially creating single points of failure at each level.

It can be configured with no problems if that's what you have to work with.

At the router level you just need a router-on-a-stick configuration to terminate each of the VLANs at L3 and control inter-vlan routing.

From the switches level, just make sure all VLANs are present. Uplinks as Trunk and client ports as access with their correct VLANs assigned per requirement.

You may also want to check STP just in case.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, as described by @PabMar .  This assuming the IEs and router support trunking.

BTW, to provide some additional "standby" redundancy, you might have a "red" port preconfigured on the second IE so that if the first IE "crashes" you can at least reconnect the router to your second IE.

Also BTW, although you can certainly interconnect the two switches using a port per VLAN, as shown, but usually we would trunk all the VLANs between switches.  Further, if the IEs support Etherchannel, then you might use that for the logical trunk link.  This too provides a bit more redundancy, might actually provide additional bandwidth, for your VLANs, between the two switches, while also possibly using less physical ports.

nikhilpatil08
Level 1
Level 1

Hello thanks, both, I did a bit of checking, and in a simplified way, the architecture may look like this. I will try to check if the suggestion works with this or not. Is it possible to check this on Packet Tracer?

nikhilpatil08_0-1668620448640.png

What's a "PLC"?

What's your hoped for result of you second red link?

Hello,
PLC = Programmable logic Controller (Typical OT Control System).

Regarding the Red line connectivity. To extend the uplink connection from Switch 1 to Switch 2. If that answer your question.