cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface vlan 1 configuration

smezache
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 Vlans (including Vlan 1) configured on a 4507r and 3550 switches. Vlan 2-5 are configured with the cable-range and AppleTalk zone. Using a MAC computer, I am able to see the zones I created as well as access servers belonging to these Vlans (vlan 2-5). However, the AppleTalk settings (cable-range and zone) I am entering for Vlan 1 (where all my servers will temporarily belong to) are showing up as invalid, which I think makes it impossible for the resources in Vlan 1 to be accessible. I tried different settings, but still no luck. Is there a reason why I cannot configure interface Vlan 1 with AppleTalk settingsl, but for the other vlan interfaces it works fine? How can I make the resources on vlan 1 be available to my MAC users on different Vlans?

The trunk link is over fiber using the 802.1q protocol Interface vlan 1 is using a class A IP address with a 16 bit subnet mask and vlan 2-5 are using a Class A IP address with a 23 bit subnet mask

Thanks for helping

2 Replies 2

konigl
Level 7
Level 7

AppleTalk cable-ranges must be unique to each interface; but zone names can span or overlap interfaces. Are you trying to overlap cable-ranges?

I decided to not overlap my networks and assign them with a distinct ip address, appletalk cable range\address, and zone name. For example, the following is a brief summary of my config:

interface Vlan 1

ip address 10.1.0.1 /16

Interface vlan 2

ip address 10.3.0.1 /23

appletalk cable-range 2-2

appletalk address 2.1

appletalk zone Vlan 2

Interface vlan 3

ip address 10.3.2.1 /23

appletalk cable-range 3-3

appletalk address 3.1

appletalk zone Vlan 3

and so on for for 3 additional vlans

The problem I am having is that I want to assign the appletalk cable range\address and zone name for vlan 1, but it tells me that the cable range I am entering is invalid. I tried several cable range (i.e 7-7 with 7.1 for the A\talk address) but I always get the same "invalid" error. All my servers are on vlan 1 and since I cannot assign the appletalk settings to vlan 1 all my MAC users cannot see the Apple resources.

Do you know what could cause vlan 1 to not accept the appletalk settings?

Thanks for your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card