cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet failover link

pchouffet
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem deciding how I should prepare redundancy in my network. Currently I have a 2621XM, 1721 with 2 WIC-1DSU-T1 (one connected to private Point to Point link, second connected to public internet, and Nortel Contivity 600 VPN concentrator. Here is the scenario that I need to accomplish. If traffic destined for point to point connection should generally be routed directly to P2P link. All other traffic should be directed to the internet link. However if the P2P link goes down those request need to be rerouted to Contivity device to create a VPN tunnel over the internet. I have a pretty good idea how to do some of the failover using policy based routing. I currenlty have this layout in mind:

Internal----2621-----Contivity---E0--1721

I guess my biggest questions (sorry I may be on the wrong forum) is if the contivity will let me pass regular traffic through it without creating VPN connections. But even when my P2P link goes down how can I define what traffic will pass right though. Thank you very much for your help in advance!

1 Reply 1

david.bradley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I think I replied to a very similar question in one of the other forums :)

The usual way to achieve this is to use GRE tunneling. You create a GRE tunnel interface on your router, the tunnel interface uses a real interface, e.g. ethernet. The traffic is directed into the GRE tunnel interface which is tunneled through your network, the internet and exits through the other GRE tunnel interface you have created at the remote end.

You default gateway will be pointed through you ethernet port to towards the internet, the traffic to your remote site will be pointed towards you leased line or through you GRE tunnel.

Dave

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card