cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS UPGRADE - Catalyst ws-2950-12

harris-ross
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upgrade the ios software on my 2950 switch but I keep getting the following error message

%Error opening tftp://10.0.0.4/imax2950-confg (Socket error)

Please somebody help

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi tony,

make sure of the following:

1) TFTP service is running on the server

2) TFTP source/destination folder correctly mapped..

3) correct file name given when prompted.

4) In case there are firewalls between the server and the switch, make sure you open tcp port 69.

Try to use 3CDeamon TFTP server. This is one of the best I have ever seen.. cisco tftp servers somtime give this error, even when everything is fine...

All the best !!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi tony,

make sure of the following:

1) TFTP service is running on the server

2) TFTP source/destination folder correctly mapped..

3) correct file name given when prompted.

4) In case there are firewalls between the server and the switch, make sure you open tcp port 69.

Try to use 3CDeamon TFTP server. This is one of the best I have ever seen.. cisco tftp servers somtime give this error, even when everything is fine...

All the best !!

HI

Thank you for your reply, it turns out I had not configureed the switch with an a Vlan 1 ip address, it is working now. cheers

But I have another question, I recently bought a cisco 831 Router which is meant to work with Cable/broadband, but when I plug it in to my cable modem it does not work. I looked at the WAN interface and it says Ethernet1 line up, but Line Protocol down. Any ideas? I mean it is on the cisco website that the 831 works with cable modem?

If you can suggest anything I will be greatful.

cheers

Tony

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Tony,

I started making a post about writing a config to TFTP, but I've changed my mind and went back to edit it. I am confused: you say you are trying to upgrade the IOS, but what I see on your error message is a config file. What are you trying to do?

If you are trying to save the config before the upgrade, I think sachinraja is right: your TFTP server is not running. Something else to be careful of: make sure that TFTP has permission to create files as well as write them. In my particular case, I have to touch the filename on the server before I can write a config for the first time.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin

Thank you for your reply, it turns out I had not configureed the switch with an a Vlan 1 ip address, it is working now. cheers

But I have another question, I recently bought a cisco 831 Router which is meant to work with Cable/broadband, but when I plug it in to my cable modem it does not work. I looked at the WAN interface and it says Ethernet1 line up, but Line Protocol down. Any ideas? I mean it is on the cisco website that the 831 works with cable modem?

If you can suggest anything I will be greatful.

cheers

Tony

The interface is administratively up, but it is not communicating. My best bet would be a straight/crossed cable issue. I have never used a cable modem, but I guess you will need a crossed cable. Maybe someone more experienced with cable modems could help you here.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg