cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

JAVA Version not able to view 2924-XL Switch WEB Page

cpremo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having real difficulty with accessing my switches via WEB pages. I am using two Dell PCs with Win2K. One has Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.0 only. The other PC has Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition 1.3, 1.3.1_03 and 1.4.2 loaded. The PC that only has v1.4.0 loaded can't load the WEB pages of certain switches, jet it can load others.

My understanding is that you should only have one version of JAVA loaded on a PC. Is this true? Or should I load multiple versions on the other PC?

2 Replies 2

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

it's always a big problem to find the correct combination of Windows, Java runtime and IOS version.

Some IOS versions require Java Runtime 1.2, some others 1.3.1 and others 1.4.2.

I remember using Java Runtime 1.2 and 1.3.1 (international version required for my Windows Czech language) installed at the same time on my PC to access 2900-XL with some older IOS versions.

The latest IOS supports Java Runtime 1.4.2 (required by latest CiscoWorks), fortunately.

I've got Java Runtime 1.2.2, 1.3.1, 1.4.1_02 installed on my PC running Windows 2000 and it works with IOS 12.0(5)WC8 with no problem (I've got a feeling only 1.4.1_02 is executed in PC memory, anyway).

So my final advice:

Use only one IOS version on all switches in your network, test which Java Runtime works with it and be happy until next upgrade.

Regards,

Milan

Thanks for the info.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card