cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

keepalive and clockrate

ddicky
Level 1
Level 1

I'm setting up a leased line PPP connection.

Do I need to setup clockrate on both routers which doing PPP connection as what is the function of the clockrate or the NTU box setup by the ISP already done the job?Do i need to setup the keepalive as well?as I tested and what is main function of this both command.

2 Replies 2

jasyoung
Level 7
Level 7

The only time you need to set clockrate is if you are using back-to-back serial cables to hook up routers, usually in a lab environment. Then, you set it on the DCE side of the serial connection.

If you have a leased line as you say, 56k or T1 or E1 or whatever, this clock will be provided by the CSU/DSU on each side. You do not need to set clockrate anywhere.

Leaving keepalive at the default is usually appropriate, unless you have an unusual situation.

Just to note, I believe that setting the clockrate on a serial interface makes it a DCE, otherwise it is a DTE. Hence depending on the modem interfacing to the interface, whether it be DCe or DTE determines whether clockrate is set.

In the case of back to back connection, an interface must be set as DCE and the other as DTE

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card