cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bizzarre routing issues with 1603/WICT1DSU and can't get to 65.x networks..

kmleon
Level 1
Level 1

This has both me and my UUNet rep stumped, maybe someone here can offer suggestions?

The router is a Cisco 1603 upgraded from 2MB RAM to 18, and from 4 MB Flash to 8 MB Flash, and from IOS 11.2.19P to 12.1(1)T and it running Bootstrap Version 11.1(10)AA with WICT1DSU added in the module slot.

We have been allocated an IP range of 1024 IP's in the 65.x/22 (255.255.252.0) network over a T1 from UUnet/Worldcom.

All works well to the Internet except for two issues:

1. (most serious) cannot get to many sites in the 65.x network (outside of our asigned block) such as http://www.paypal.com, v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com, etc.

2. Our upstream speed is only half our downstream speed. We get around 1500k downstream (towards us), but upstream is only at best 800k.

The router is out of warranty.

The WIC card is still in warranty,so I'll try to get Cisco support to see if they can help.

Doing a show interface for either the Ethernet0 or the Serial1 or the Serial1.1 shows no errors in input, output, or CRC. Running in debug mode, shows many network unreachable messages in the 65.x network outside of our network.

Some of the sites are known to filter out icmp messages, so ping testing is not all that accurate. So I've used a web browser to verify sites are up over our DSL line from one machine, while trying to access via browser over the T1 line with another machine,and verified that the sites are up,just not accessible to us from the T1 line we're on.

I've put the router into "debug all" mode trying to figure out the details, nothing useful so far that I can see.

Any suggestions on tracking the cause of this down?

UUNet is "certain" it's not on their end (and I'm inclined to believe them for the moment).

It'll be 5 to 10 business days before a replacement router arrives to help with testing, so anything that can be figured out before then would be great.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Hawke

hawke@hawkes-haven.com

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Not being able to reach other subnets in a network that you are using yourself also can only mean one thing: You have disabled classless routing.

Enter the global command: ip classles and it will alsmost certainly come alive.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Not being able to reach other subnets in a network that you are using yourself also can only mean one thing: You have disabled classless routing.

Enter the global command: ip classles and it will alsmost certainly come alive.

That was it!

Oh, thank you very much, you have no idea what a relief that is (or maybe you do). ;)

Now if I can just figure out why upstream is only half that of downstream, we'll be running perfect. That at least is not the show-stopper that the ip classless issue was.

Thanks again,

-Hawke

What does your provider say about the bandwith that is available to you?

It is very well possible that the ratings you mention are what you are entitled to. It is quite common for an Internet connection to have a larger downstream than upstream. I would check this first.

I verfied that with them VERY clearly both before signing the contract, and since service has been launched and I found this issue.

It's a fully bi-directional 1.5Mbps T1 that I've been provided and am entitled to.

They state unequivocally that it's setup to be 1.5 both directions, that it must be my router.

I don't know what setting to look for that would restrict that.

I don't see anything with a number anywhere near 768/800 range.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Hawke

Maybe you need to specify the bandwaidth in the configuration?

"bandwidth 1536", or something.

I'm not sure I saw this referred to in your initial message. I aplogize if I'm repeating something you've tried.

bob kahler

We had tried various speed settings, lower ones slowed it down correctly, higher ones were to no avail.

Well, despite their (UUNet's techs) protestions to the contrary, it turned out to be the UUNet folks.

We had temporarily given up, and just left everything "as was". Then miraculaously about 3-4 weeks later, we were running our usual speed tests and noticed the connection was full speed both directions. Obviously someone on their end did something to fix it, but no admission on their part of anything having been wrong on their end at all, otherwise they'd be obligated to refund us some of our monthly costs under the terms of the contract. Oh well, at least we have full speed both ways now.