Views
Helpful
Replies

Large amount of HSRP traffic?

Jonteponte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Our organization has recently begun analysizing our network traffic and we have discovered that a large amount of outgoing traffic is HSRP (Hot Standby Router Protocol) packages. With large amount I mean about 2-3Gb daily. The network consist of all Cisco equipment on our side and we're connected to our "ISP" with a 10Mb line, we however don't have any knowledge about the equipment that connects us, that part is invisble to us. We have not initially configured our network, it was done by consultants, but we are now trying to get a better hold on how the network is built.

So, does anyone have any idea on if this is normal or is something very wrong?

17 Replies 17

Thanks for your efforts :) I think we'll have to enroll some professional help on-site to look at this. Hopefully I'll get back here and explain what the problem was when it's solved (might take awhile). Thanks again!

I got the correct terms now:

Layer 2 Command Switch

Layer 2 Standby Command Switch

Those are the one transmitting

bigbhai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

HSRP mainly occurs ins ide your LAN it has nothing to do with your WAN setup and you might be experience lot of traffic because of following reason,

by seeing the entire configuration and going to your replies wht i understand there is lot of traffic across lan this is becuase one of the host might be valunerable to check this on siwthc fron use sh port command on the switch and that particualar host might be broadcsting lot or another way is if you have any linux box you can always check in the mean time do let me know wht is the cpu stats of the switch and is there any rebooting happening on the switch intermideantly ???

Regards

Consultant - Networks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card