cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linux router

kmchoong
Level 1
Level 1

Is it suitable to use Linux router as the ISP backbone router particularly running OSPF and BGP4 routing? What are the caveats of Linux router with Gated as the routing software? Please advice

2 Replies 2

networker123
Level 1
Level 1

I think a company called, Imagestream is selling routers which are running in Linux platform. I think the performance is acceptable, but, if you are not familiar with Linux, then, you will have very hard time to make it work. Besides, I am quite using Gated to run OSPF and BGP4. Gated is pretty nee in these things. I will say it is ok to use it as Intranet router, but, as for ISP, it is a bit risky to do so.

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

If you are an ISP and especially looking for a backbone router, you definitely do not want something like Gated running on a Linux server..The software is great as far as running BGP and OSPF..but its about scalability to run 100000+ routes from the internet and also about wire speed switching from one interface to another...I would prefer using a Cisco or Juniper router compared to using Linux..though the cost difference between the two is a lot..which is the main attraction..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card