cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balance

rmalta
Level 1
Level 1

I need to distribute traffic between 8 interfaces of the same router. All of the interfaces are connected to the internet (a single provider) through 8 links of 2 Mbps. Is it possible? What should I do? How can I configure this scenario?

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

If all terminates at same router at ISP end , and run PPP as encapsulation, you can do PPP multilink. Almost all routing protocols support to a max of 6 equal cost load balancing. So u might want to go for multilink.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

New code can support 8 eual cost paths, so you can do this with cef, if they are all terminating in the same router on the other end, as long as you are learning the same set of routes over all interfaces. If you are running bgp to the provider, you will wnat to peer loopback to loopback, and then run statics or some other routing protocol, since bgp will only choose one path, and will not load share over these links.

Russ

I have the same Network as Rmalta but 3 interfaces connected to Internet (same ISP) with 256 Kbps each. All the 3 are pointed to one inteface connected to LAN. I'm using a 3640 Router. What kind of load-balancing could this router do? If one Internet interface is too busy does it direct the request to another interface?

I can provide you with the router configuration that I now have. At the moment using ACLs and route-map to distribute the connection. That's a portion of it (the a.b.c.x are public IPs):

route-map GW1 permit 10

match ip address 101

match ip next-hop 1

set ip next-hop a.b.c.1

!

route-map GW2 permit 10

match ip address 102

match ip next-hop 2

set ip next-hop a.b.c.2

!

route-map GW3 permit 10

match ip address 103