Views
Helpful
Replies

Long distance WAN / MAN

cgknipe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am sitting with a bit of a delema. What would be the cheapest possible way to achieve the following in a way that there is NO third party carries involved (i.e. the information never crosses on any other network - this is 100% self owned and maintained).

I aim to monitor via Video over IP various strategic locations on farms. Immediately, because is it farms, distance becomes my biggest concirn. The distance my vary anything from 5km - 500km per site (+- 2 - 300+ miles).

Fiber with a ATM backend was my first choice, but this would mean ATM "enabled" devices at every site to terminate the ATM ring on. A expensive solution for a third world country.

My alternative solution was a DSL type scenario, however I soonr ealised the distance here would kill the signal on the copper for the DSL, and thus make the solution impossible to implement.

My last choice I could think of, was to "simulate" X.21 circuits with normal serial interfaces. But I soon realised that a 300 odd mile distance in the copper running the line, would also kill the signal on the wires, and hence it won't work either.

Is Fiber really my only option in carring data for these type of distances? I don't want to use microwave / sattelite / wireless. I need to have broadcasting licenses to use these technologies the way I intent to in my country, and a type of "monthly running cost" scenario, or a "license renewal" type of fee, is something I want to avoide...

Anyone has some ideas?

1 Reply 1

faheyd
Level 1
Level 1

I think getting a sponsor might be the only way for you to afford it. Fiber Optics is the only way I see you doing this, considering your stated requirements.

Maybe if you go with Data or Link Encryption, you might not be so tight on your requirement for crossing other networks. This would bring down your costs a great deal.

Even in America, laying down Fiber Optics like your proposal is an expensive proposition and requires some sort of outside funding.

I believe Sweden or a similar country did a fiber network like that to the farms for the doctors to remotely service the farm animals. I believe is was government supported research. I just can't find a link to it right now.

Good Luck!