Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback Test Failed, Please Help!!

jhiers
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a Cisco 2950 series switch, and I have eight ports that are not working. What is happening is that they appear to be administratively down. When I issue the no shut command I receive the following error:

"fa0/xx can't be brought up because it failed POST in loopback test." This is happening for ports 42 - 48. The others work fine without any apparent problems. When I reboot the switch, right before it finishes I get the following error message for each of the ports "POST: Loopback test failed on FastEthernet 0/xx State: Disabled." I have tried completely powering down the switch as well as enabling the ports throught GUI, but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of where to begin on troubleshooting? Is this a hardware or IOS issue?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeremy

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

well, fail POST is a hardware issue. Return it and get a new one from Cisco

View solution in original post

fabios
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like an hardware issue. Therefore since the catalysts come with lifetime warranty (provided you are the original owner) call cisco TAC describe the simptoms and have an RMA issued. Make sure you have the original invoice serial number and capture the boot up process (post error should show there). s tech support will help too.

Fabio

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

well, fail POST is a hardware issue. Return it and get a new one from Cisco

thanks for the quick reply, I was afraid that was the problem.

fabios
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like an hardware issue. Therefore since the catalysts come with lifetime warranty (provided you are the original owner) call cisco TAC describe the simptoms and have an RMA issued. Make sure you have the original invoice serial number and capture the boot up process (post error should show there). s tech support will help too.

Fabio

thanks for the quick reply, I was afraid that was the problem.