Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast RP Design and Sizing

Hello Folks,

My customer is IPTV broadcasting company, sometimes other provider also use their content to provide the IPTV service for their clients. In order to achieve that goal, we want to put a device (either Router/Switch) to perform MSDP peering. Let's assume the total traffic from the IPTV source is about 10Gbps towards the receivers. In addition, the customer requires min 8 x 10Gbps for some reason.

I'm considering to use Catalyst 9500 (switch) or 8500 (router) for this RP, if I'm only looking at the port density requirement. But I'm still not sure about the Forwarding/Switching capacity related to Multicast traffic. I want to know if there's a guide and common best practice to determine the ideal router/switch platform for Multicast RP? What router/switch specifications that I need to looking at?

Thanks,

-Rp

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on where this device positioned and serving clients ?

check some reference :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/about/ciscoitatwork/downloads/ciscoitatwork/pdf/cisco_it_case_study_iptv.pdf

Both are latest Platforms so they should able to service the requirement what you looking, but again we need to always deploy and monitor - based in the Datasheet what they claim for multicast routing support.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji,

The proposed RP device will be located in the source provider (as border of MSDP).