cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multicast using symantec ghost

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

I'm having a problem with this product on a catalyst 3500. I connect the cat to a 6500 with MSFC have multicast routing enabled using cgmp. I get very spotty results sometimes the ghost does not finish sometimes it runs quickly and other times very slowly. I've even tried attaching the ghost server directly to the 3500 with no uplink with the same results. I have nothing else plugged into the switch except PCs I want to ghost.

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

It sounds like the CGMP is not doing its job. With CGMP, the MSFC will see the IGMP join from the PC wanting to see the multicast, then issue CGMP instructions to the switch to open the corresponding ports to the multicast stream.

When the MSFC is disconnected, I am surprised you can see anything at all. I would have expected the switch not to open any of the ports to the stream unless it gets the CGMP instruction to do so. Or did you disable CGMP on the switch for that experiment?

Having said that, can you confirm that CGMP is configured on both the 6500 (as a router) and on the 3500 switch?

Kevin Dorrell,

Luxembourg

stomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Has this ever worked for you at this location?

I had a customer with a similar problem and their issue was with the NIC cards and the auto-negotiate feature in the switches. The resolution was to lock the speed and duplex down in the switch and use a DOS boot disk to lock the speed and duplex down in the NIC card of each pc. Just setting it in Windows was not good enough. Check the website for the NIC vendor for this file.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card