cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

My task is to build up new Data Center

joeskin363
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question on the build new Data Center - The requirement is have Vlan segmentation from Prod/App/DB and users - There is a suggestion from the team to used Firewall as routing and gateway where the Core switch remain unfunction at all. Total host for this new DC is around 200 server (Clas C/24) -

Question

1. Does firewall allowed to do routing for enterprise network

2. Does any enterprise firewall can do routing to cater class c /24 subnet

3 Replies 3

davidxiayuan
Level 1
Level 1

It's depending on how you could like to setup your network.

I probably would suggest to put all your internal network behind a/pair of firewalls with different zones to ensure the layer 2 and layer 3 seperation and security. And using your core switch to do the non-firewall routing if you core switch is 4500 or 6500.

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Joe,

the answer is depend on you deisgn

are you isolating these groups in L2 VLANS and using first L3 gateway as a firewall to control the routing between them

or you might consider using VRFs and routig isolation with firewalls in between as well as described in the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Network_Virtualization/ServEdge.html

hope this help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: