cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Name of the current physical Packet Switched network?

5oZ98ZS9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I keep reading Point-To-Point and Frame Relay are no longer used etc etc but no information on what the name of the current Physical Packet Switching network is called. There is obviously a huge physical Packet switching network made of fiber optics and routers - but whats it called.

It's no good me writing in my assignment we use packet switching etc. and Point-To-Point and frame relay are no longer used but I have no idea of what they have been replaced with???

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most new WAN networks are built over the Internet (using tunnels), MPLS (MPLS, itself, usually not directly visible to customer, often seen as a multi point network with customer BGP peer or an Ethernet LAN like network), and, sometimes, running across a optical network.

From the customer's perspective, the forging all usually have Ethernet hand-offs, and customer's end-points often appear as p2p or multipoint on a "shared" Ethernet like network.  I.e. you often don't see modern network using non-Ethernet hand-offs, nor having to consider "routing" with the provider's network.

Under the covers, i.e. within the providers network, all kinds of physical media might be used, but there too, often based on some form of Ethernet, often also using MPLS.

5oZ98ZS9
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Sir! this is just the information I need to begin my research.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Joseph W. Doherty explained in more detailed, indeed he does most of the time.

in addition, you can also look at below information in relation of your query, hope this add your search :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_uk/products/ios-nx-os-software/multiprotocol-label-switching-mpls/index.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card