cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Assistance on a Catalyst 3200 Switch Version 2.03

l-mathews
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 3200 Catalyst Switches, Both Power Up, pass the Diagnostic Test Modes,

however I cannot select any the main menu choices, actually the only choices I seem to have is to go back to previous menu, CTRL P to exit console or hit and execute the first higlighted choice which is Configuration menu; options under the config menu are not accessible either.

Anyone familiar with this type of switch and how to acces it?

L.Mathews

4 Replies 4

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

I only suspect your terminal emulation s/w here. May be they are not visibile because of some background colors. Just check if your up/down arrows take you other options although they are not visible. You can also check your settings with a console of another switch which used to work earlier to rule out this.

Background are White with Black Letter..actually the cursor arrow moves to the bottom of the page, not allowing me highlight any of the menu choices in either Main Menu or Config Menu.. I can display the choices for both menus but I cannot highlight them or select them. I have another question. I've used a rollover console cable with a DB-9 Female to DB-9 Female null modem adapter for this console session. Cisco Recommends using either a straigth through modem cable with a null modem adapter ..or a null modem cable..could console cable I am using be the problem...this console cable works for my 3 2501 routers..although I am not using a null modem adapter on either end. Should I use a null modem cable instead..?? It seems that something is preventing the cursor from highlighting any of the menu choices..it seems stuck on Main Menu and/or Configuration Menu...I can also hit to get back into the main menu and to exit the console..do you think its the hyperterminal emulation software that may be the problem. Let me know if you have any other suggestions..

Thanks for your input.

L.Mathews-Cablevision

I do not suspect your cable or communication parameters as you get some output/messages on the screen. But I would surely suspect your terminal emulation mode on the emulation s/w like VT100, VT220, etc., Try changing those modes. If nothing helps try with another emulation software. In this case, changing the cable is not going to help in my opininion.

Thanks,

For the Tips..I started digging deeper on the specfic for the terminal emulation requirments..and I realized the Hypterminal software was the basic one shipped with Windows 2000..when I upgraded it to the private eidtion

Ver 6.3..I was able to access both switches...

Thanks, Again.

l.mathews

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card