cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NonBlocking connections to WS-X6748-GE-TX

nsysblh
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that the WS-X6748-GE-TX connects to the switch fabric via 2 20gbps connections. Therefore, the 48 port card isn't non-blocking when fully deployed. Apparently, because of the internal tagging, it appears that only 38 ports can be simultaneously active at 1000 and the card remain totally non-blocking. From one of the install docs, it says the card is really divided into 4 port groups, not 2.

I haven't found any definitive answers, so I thought I'd ask here.

What are the port number ranges in each section of the card (and are there 2 sections or 4), and how many 1000 connections can be made to each to leave the card non-blocking? Can the rest of the ports in that section run at 100 and the card still remain non-blocking?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you want to design for the worst-case scenario of all 64-byte packets and need all non blocking ports, then 32 ports is what you can use in each WS-X6748-GE-TX. You would need to use 16 out of each group of 24 ports (1-24 and 25-48).

You cannot use any more if you are sending sustained 1 Gig traffic on all 32 ports

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you want to design for the worst-case scenario of all 64-byte packets and need all non blocking ports, then 32 ports is what you can use in each WS-X6748-GE-TX. You would need to use 16 out of each group of 24 ports (1-24 and 25-48).

You cannot use any more if you are sending sustained 1 Gig traffic on all 32 ports

Could the other 8 ports in each half of the card be used for 100 and still remain non-blocking in the worst case?

If there is sustained 1 gig traffic on 16 ports in the bank of 24, I would expect to see some contention for access to backplane and see some drops.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: