Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP questions

astrotechnology
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need your help on setting up NTP on L2 Cat2950(standard image). There are 4 vlans with 4 diff ip/subnet on this switch with no default gateway.One of the vlan is connected to another switch, Cat3550.Im planning to set Cat2950 to get NTP time from C3550. The question is, can the servers connected to the other 3 vlan get the NTP? What command should i issue. Your help and comment are much appreciated.

2 Replies 2

Josef Oduwo
Level 7
Level 7

So long as the VLANs are talking to each other, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to set up NTP.

This is what we use on our switches:

ntp broadcastdelay 2

ntp access-group query-only 1

ntp access-group peer 2

ntp access-group serve 1

ntp access-group serve-only 1

ntp server 123.456.789.123

end

The relevant access lists would be:

access-list 2 permit 123.456.789.123 where 123.456.789.123 is your NTP server, the 3550.

Also have a look-see at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/tk461/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html for more background.

Cheers,

Josef.

PS - please rate the post's usefulness.

Use the software you say in windows server, so my router is aking for NTP synch to the server, but synch never succed. In the server I run k9nt in debug mode, you can see a message saying: NTP message received from 172..... mode 3. I think my router is reaching the server but the server does not reply the correct response then K9NT the correct software is Tardiswindows server , then show the  NTP server running now to set time in clock.