cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Odd characters on console access

danmaia
Level 1
Level 1

I just reset a SG350X and its console is showing odd characters while set to 115200 - 8/1.

odd_characters.png
According to the switch documentation, it should use 115200 speed by default.

I've tested all other speeds and none of them print the correct characters. However, I can access the Web management interface.

Under "Administration", "Console Settings", I've manually set the "Console Port Baud Rate" to 115200. However, the console still prints incorrect characters.

baud_speed.png

Through SSH, I can confirm that.

#sh line console
Console configuration:
Interactive timeout: 10 minute(s)
History: 10
Baudrate: 115200
Databits: 8
Parity: none
Stopbits: 1

Also, a serial loop tester fails to receive the correct data.

loopback.png

I've noticed a new warning in the Ram log when trying to access the console port. There seems to be a blocking rule for the console port, but I couldn't find an ACL under "Access Control".

log_console_reject.png

Under "Security", "Mgmt Access Method", "Profile Rules", there's a rule with the action "deny" for the "Console Only" profile. I'm not sure what that means, but I can't edit it.

console_deny.png

The device works pretty much fine. I can access its Web interface and SSH to it.
Only the console access seems to be messed up.
I'm lost now. Any idea on how to properly set up the console access on this device?

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you tried all the options, have you tried different terminal (not suspecting in case)

Also do you have any other device to test this console cable - other one i suspect faulty console cable.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I've changed the serial cable, now a USB one, and it's showing the wrong characters as well.
As far as continuity goes, the cables work fine.
Now I have no clue of what's going on.

If the cable good and tested other device, i suspect the device com port on switch, if you have contract raise a TAC case for RMA.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is quite odd. I've seen defective cables, but I've never really seen a defective console port.
Anyway, thanks for your feedback.