cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping No Response

mhaley2001
Level 1
Level 1

This is a test environment. Sun Server, 2950 switch, Terminal server all connected to 3 Test Chassis's. 4506 & 4006 chassis's with Sup I-IV. It's only the Sup IV I seem to have problems with. During the test script, the Ethernet I/F on the Sup IV fails the ping test. If I stop the test and ping it manually, usually it fails. But if I change the IP address it passes. If I change it back to the IP set by the script it fails. If I change it again to another IP it passes. Generally if power down the Chassis and test again, it will pass. But these failures slow down the test process. It seems the Sup IV is the only Sup with this issue. The others run ok. We set the server up as 10.1.1.1 and that's the ping address. The ethernet port is set to something like 10.1.1.30 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.255. Any Ideas?

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

hi mhaley

can u please explain ur problem with the ip addresses ? seems to be a bit confusing of what ur exact problem is....

Raj

Sorry, this is my first time on here. There is a 19inch rack with 3 Chassis's, 4006 and 4506 chassis's. We have a Sun Server set up as 10.1.1.1 and it holds all of our test data and scripts. There is a Terminal Server to interface between the server and the power cycle box we use to power up/down the chassis's. There is also a 2950 switch that everything connects too, which acts a hub basically.

We use Supervisor IV's. Each Chassis is a Test Cell. The script configures the MGT ethernet Interface on the Supervisor modules, then trys to ping the Server(10.1.1.1). The test uses a base address of 10, and adds this to the Cell #. Let's use Cell 48, the script adds the base address 10 to the Cell # for an IP address of 10.1.1.58, subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Broadcast 10.1.1.255, tftpserver 10.1.1.1, default gateway 10.1.1.1. Each Cell has a different # so the IP address should never be duplicated. The test will ping 10.1.1.1(server) multiple times before it calls a failure routine and halts the test. If I ping the server manually from the Sup Console, the ping fails, if I change the IP addr of the Sup IV MGT port, and ping again, the ping passes. I can change the IP multiple times and the ping will pass, but if I change it back to 10.1.1.58, the original IP, the Server will not answer the ping. Re run the test a few times and most times the test will pass.

So the basics are, set up the SUP IV MGT port, and Ping the server 10.1.1.1, to verify that the MGT port or I/F was set up correctly.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card