Views
Helpful
Replies

port having errors

leowchongwei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When i plug into a switchport, the lights alternate between green and amber. Console screen will show int fa0/1 experience errors. Nothing else. What else can i do to see what errors or what problem is causing that to happen?

Thanks,

Steven

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Do chek for :

1.collisions/errors (by giving show interface fa0/1)

2.Duplex Settings (may be duplex mismatch)

3.Speed Settings (speed mismatch)

4.Physical Media

Hardcode the speed,duplex settings wrt to the other end NIC of the device connected..

if you have enabled logs then also u can be able to c if its due to collision or somethin else in the logs messages.

regds

prem

aashish.c
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Steven

kindly update what device r u connecting to switchport, is ia switch or PC. also cehck the logs and update me.

paste the output of logs and "sh int fao/1" or whatever is the port no.

coenrad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have experienced the very same problem.

Action taken: - Wiremap (have found this to be the most common cause), if wiremap O.K., change out the leads both ends if running high data rates at duplex.

- I have also experienced this with duplex mismatches, check client side config, if auto, hard set it or visa versa, hard set the switch port to match client.

I have most commonly found this to be related to wiring issues, then again, your error logs are still the best bet for pinning down the nature of this problem, good luck.