Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-security question

pokwan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone explain what psecure-violation is? What causes the following err message to appear and the port disabled?

TIA.

PF

%PM-SP-4-ERR_DISABLE: psecure-violation error detected on Fa4/7, putting Fa4/7 in err-disable state

4 Replies 4

Hello,

this is from CCO (see also the link below):

Security Violations

It is a security violation when one of these situations occurs:

--> The maximum number of secure MAC addresses have been added to the address table, and a station whose MAC address is not in the address table attempts to access the interface.

--> An address learned or configured on one secure interface is seen on another secure interface in the same VLAN.

The default mode when port security is enabled on a port is to put the port in err-disable state, should one of the above occur.

Understanding Port Security

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12225se/3550scg/swtrafc.htm#wp1092001

HTH,

GP

GP,

Thanks for the reply. These are the 2 that I know off will cause the problem. Is there any other? I have experienced before where neither of the above caused the problem. Then I have tried to increase the max to a larger value but it still failed on the error and the mac-address is not seen anywhere. However this has occured sometime back and I just remembered to ask the question.

TIA.

PF

Hello,

apart from the two causes mentioned, others could be:

--> the switch detected excessive or late collisions on a port

--> there is a port duplex misconfiguration

--> there is an EtherChannel misconfiguration

--> a Bridge Protocol Data Unit (BPDU) port-guard violation has occured

--> a UniDirectional Link Detection (UDLD) has occured

Can you check to see if any of those might apply to your situation ?

Regards,

GP

GP,

Unfortunately the problem occured sometime back. I couldn't remember... I know it wasn't option 2 - 5. What was attached to the point was a PC (not running any virtual PC softwares). I probably will have to investigate again if the problem occurs again.

Thanks.

PF

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card