cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

programing or networking ??? which one pays better?

08md1a0404
Level 1
Level 1

hii..im lookig to to start a career in networking and im interested in it..but some are saying that there will be no career growth in networking and the salaries are also very less compared to programing so this is worrying me alot ..although this is not apparopriate to post this question here , i want someone to explain me clearly about career growth and salaries in networking.. some are saying that " i have never seen a network engineer earning $1300 per month while programers earn double"( salaries in india)...

so anyone please give me suggestions regarding this...please please please

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Can't say how the two technical careers paths compare in India, but in the USA, according to salary surveys, salaries are supposed to be roughly comparable.

You career (technically) might advance faster in programming as I believe it's easier for management to recognize positive and negative contributions.  You can advance faster in networking if you acquire a coveted certification such as Cisco's CCIE.  Much depends on supply vs. demand, locally.

Although most of us are interested in renumeration, don't ignore what you actually like to do.  Liking what you do often makes it easier to do what you do, better.  Also, you'll often fine doing something you dislike, for just a little more renumeration, often doesn't seem worth it after a while.

Well said Joe.

Vamsi,

India has MNC's which are more software oriented i.e all the hitech cities like Pune, Hyderabad and Bangalore have more software companies than networkin . These are all project oriented and offer higher remuneration.

In networking, the role is more of a support unless you have like 7-8 years of exp where you can become a solution architect or designer etc.

Howvever, in western countries as Joe said the remunearion is comparable based on certs , exp etc. I live in Australia and here CCIE's can get a better pay than a programmer or developer. It all depends on what the job market is really.

Also, do waht you love otherwise you wont last long :-).

thank you kishore ..and i think you are from INDIA?

THANK YOU JOSEPH..