Views
Helpful
Replies

PVC vs. SVC (frame relay)

tigerxxxx
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i don't understand what is the meaning of Permanent Virtual Circuit, & Switched VC . and the differnce between them, if u can explain me, i will thanks u a lot

5 Replies 5

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Tigerxxx,

I think you are clearing all your fundamentals posting questions on forum ha ha just kidding.

Packets are routed through one or more Virtual Circuits known as Data Link Connection Identifiers (DLCIs).

Most Virtual Circuits are Permanent Virtual Circuits or PVCs, which means that the network provider sets up all DLCI connections at subscription time and also they remain up whther session is active or not. As the name specifies permanent.

Switched Virtual Circuits (SVCs) are also part of the Frame Relay specification. They provide a link that lasts only only as long as the session is active.

HTH

Ankur

i asked before, if it's ok to ask here a theory questions (that i didn't inderstand in my stadies), but u didn't answer me.

Hello,

basically, a PVC is a permanent point-to-point circuit between two predetermined endpoints, while an SVC is a connection that can be set up between any two users, provided these users have an access connection.

Check the following link, hopefully that explains the difference for you:

Frame Relay

F2.1.2 Services

http://www.ericsson.com/support/telecom/part-f2/f2-1-2.shtml

HTH,

GP

HI.

PVC is not necessarily a point to point connection it can also be point to multipoint.

Regards,

Ankur

thanks to all of u