QoS Class-maps

kimtoovey
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to understand the class-default for marking

I have the concept of Identify traffic with ACLs

Classify traffic for marking with class-maps

Mark traffic with policy-maps

the policy-map will always have a default-class for unaccounted traffic in the policy-maps

what I don't quite understand is that the there is not a class-map class-default

when servicing the "policy" the class-maps are referenced with "class A" "class B" "class class-default"

when looking for the matches on class class-default there is no reference class-map to go to....

I figured I have to accept this logic means if  traffic was not specifically matched by the collection of class-maps in the config the IOS can assume the traffic would have been/is class-default.

i had put a config together to classify certain traffic as CS0, like SNMP... i wanted to force traffic there as well as having all unaccounted traffic being classified CS0.

but from what i read if i don't have snmp matched in any class-map in the config then this traffic would find itself in

policy-map XXX

class class-default

set ip precedence 0

even though class-default does not exist as class-map class-default

1 Reply 1

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You want to mark some traffic as CS0? and then count that traffic? but you won't know which traffic had CS0 imposed or was natively IPP 0 like all data traffic not specifically marked.

the class class-default exists just do a show class-map and you'll see it, it is the IOS which creates it.

Doing a show policy-map interface will show you which class-map was matched.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card