cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS fair queue on fast ethernet

dcissystems
Level 1
Level 1

I started with a company and they have fair queue 64 256 0 configured on fast ethernet. I beleive that fair queue was only meant for WAN links 2mps or less. I have noticed many output drops and thought that it was relate to the fair queueing tail drops. Was I correct by removing the fair queueing and just defaulting to FIFO?

3 Replies 3

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

You are correct that WFQ normally apply on lower 2Mbps link. I agreed to use FIFO will be good enough if there is no specific QoS requirement. However, I suggest to remove the WFQ in some non-critical ports to test it first then remove from other ports.

Check below for more QoS info. :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk544/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

Hope this helps.

The company believed that replacing the router(3660) with 3845 with more memory/processor would fixed the problem. However, I beleived that the 3660 was fine it was just misconfigured. They had already purchased a replacement but I beleive that the problem was caused by over engineering which created the problem that never existed. Keep it simple at the core...

Totally agreed on the simple is the best. Simplify the configuration, remove the unused commmand may also improve the performance. Due to lowe CPU process required.

Moreove, if there is not many tunnel, ipsec, ip accounting, etc. CPU intensive process, then the 3660 should be good enough.

I can't comment why the management purchase new model (but not the high end) to replace 3660. There should be some reasons behind. Don't worry about the new hardware, just try to explore new feature and benefit from the new box that can provide to your company.

Did you checked the CPU loading of the 3660 ? If it is not high (>50%) then it shouldn't be the hardware problem.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card