Views
Helpful
Replies

Qos on cisco router 891f

z.havlicek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a question about QoS settings on Cisco routers with iOS version 15. I need to limit the speed of a specific IP address that is using too much bandwidth. I'm not sure how to properly configure QoS policy and class map for this purpose. Can you please advise me what the best practices are and what are the possible problems or risks? Thank you for your help.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Internet connection?

Too much bandwidth usage in or out or both?

What's the IOS version being used?

Specifics of interface media being used?

Internet connection?

yes same as internet , is it vlan1 traffic 

Too much bandwidth usage in or out or both?

This is a download overload

What's the IOS version being used?

Version 15.9(3)M4

Specifics of interface media being used?

GigabitEthernet8 is used as a WAN interface

GigabitEthernet0 over vlan1 is
part of the LAN 10.x.x.x where one of the clients needs to be restricted, for example, 10.1.1.1.2

If router were a "usual" ISR, this would be easy.  However the 8xx series are somewhat restricted in some features.

I'm assuming NAT/PAT is being used?  If so, I recall (?) the WAN interface doesn't allow us to "see" the internal IP we wish to restrict.  I also recall (?) the internal SVI might not support an IP specific policer.

I don't have a 8xx to test with, but what you might try is something "like" . . .

An extended ACL matching your destination IP.

A class-map matching the above ACL.

A policy-map using the above class-map as a class with a policer limiting bandwidth.

Finally, adding an "out" service-policy, using the above policy-map, to the SVI.