cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Domain

haythamsalem86
Level 1
Level 1

There are many companies whose field of work is networks that sell domains. I want to know in detail what it means to sell a domain. Thank you

3 Replies 3

Domain is too vague. It can be a lot of things. But, it is probably reffering to Domain name, which is a unique name to be used on the internet. For example, cisco.com is a domain belonging to Cisco company, no one can use it besides Cisco.

But domain can also be used for many others subjects.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As @Flavio Miranda notes, likely you're asking about Internet domain names, like xxx.com, yyy.org, zzz.net, etc.

Generally, the companies "selling" these names, don't actually sell the name, they "host" the name on a DNS server, for a fee, over some amount of time.  Internet naming authorities insure there are no duplicates.  I.e. if you want to use xxx.com, no one else can have it.

However, I don't know of the legal stuff, but you might also encounter "selling" names, if someone else has the name you want to use.

For example, say you wanted to use haytham.salem.com.  Since, on these boards you're also have a suffix number 86, there might be other haythamsalem people.  But again, if you want to use haytham.salem.com, without any additional name expansion, like 86, you can find out who is currently using ("owns") haytham.salem.com and, possibly, "buy" a transfer, to you.

haythamsalem86
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card