Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions about TB, CRB and IRB

antonio-soares
Level 1
Level 1

Hello forum,

I'm studing these Bridging things and i have some doubts regarding how these features work inside a router.

1) I do not understand why for example, Transparent Bridging (TB) does not bridge IP. Is the router able to identify if a protocol is routable or not ? How does it work ?

2) I made some tests in my lab with CRB and i found strange the fact that i'm able to route in the interfaces i'm bridging. The documentation says that if one interface is bridging it cannot route and vice-versa. Is this really true ?

3) Regarding IRB, i found the same problem. Even with "no bridge x route ip", i'm still able to route...

Finally, i would like to test TB but it seems it's not easy. I tried to install NetBEUI on two laptops running WinXP but i'm not able to make it work. Does anybody knows some other (easy) ways to test TB ?

Thank you,

Antonio

1 Reply 1

antonio-soares
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Forum,

Let me share with you what i found in the meanwhile. It's possible to do transparent bridging of IP disabling ip routing (no ip routing). Regarding the CRB and IRB issue, i guess that since i have IP addresses on the interfaces of the bridge group, the router routes IP anyway.

Regards,

Antonio

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card