cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick questions - 1600 Series with 56k CSU/DSU WIC

mikejr
Level 1
Level 1

1) These routers will eventually be hooked up to Telco frame relay. Can I use a crossover cable in the meantime to test my configuration? I was under the assumption that I could as long as I set one of the CSUs to emit a clock signal.

2) My WIC should be identified in the router as "Serial1" correct?

3) Why do I get an invalid command when I try and enable IPX routing? It doesn't even appear that is a valid command in my router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated =) Thanks in advance.

--Mike

6 Replies 6

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you can use a telco crossover cable and set one side to "clock source internal".

Your WIC should be serial1 if you already have another serial port on the router.

You have to have the correct version of IOS for IPX routing. Check your "show version" and look for the feature set in your IOS. You should see something like "c1600-ny-l.122-6a.bin". The "n" in "ny", I believe, is Novell.

Mick.

Thanks for the info Mick. Now just to clarify, I assume that a Cat5 crossover is the same a "telco crossover" right? I know it's a silly question, just clarifying.

I can't say if a CAT-5 crossover cable would work. Rumor says that it is supposed to, but I've seen them not work on WIC-1DSU-T1 cross over attempts.

Anybody have the pinout for a 56Kbps telco crossover?

Mick.

Alright, another quick one for ya in the meantime Mick. I was at first trying to crossover a 56k DSU to a T1 DSU. My guess is that without some TelCo stepping equipment in the middle that it won't work right?

The 56k CSU cable pinout is different from a T-1 CSU.

Transmit:

1 & 2

Receive:

7 & 8

T-1 CSU

Transmit:

4 & 5

Receive:

1 & 2

So it looks to me as if you were going from 56k CSU to 56k CSU, you could get away with using an RS-232 rollover like the blue ones you probably have dozens of laying around. Never tried it myself though.

Otherwise, get out your RJ-45 crimp tool.

Scott

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

Check the version/feature set of the IOS. IPX requires desktop