Views
Helpful
Replies

"No service finger" not display in switch running config

ahpark78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Gurus,

I have turned off the command, no service finger but somehow it is not displaying at the running config.How can i do it?

The reason I am asking is because there is new switch where i need to config based on whatever is turned off.

How can I solve this?

Thanks in advanced.

ken

6 Replies 6

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Ken,

The reason it is not displaying is because that is the default i.e 'service finger' is disabled by default. As you know, IOS does not display commands that are turned on by default - that is why you don't see it.

I would appreciate you rating the post if it helps.

Paresh

Thanks Paresh. Yeah,I will post the rating but have one more question, how can I know if what are the commands are disabled by default?

The reason why is I am asking is there is IOS that can display NO SERVICE FINGER and others. If those are not display, I can't tell what are the commands to be disabled as for security template config wise.

thanks,

ken

Ken,

As you have discovered, default commands tend to change as IOS evolves. In older IOSs, the finger service was enabled by default and therefore disabling it meant that the 'no service finger' command would appear in the config. That has now changed..

The best way to determine whether or not a command is enabled/disabled by default is to refer to the entry for that command in the Command Reference for the IOS version you are using. Each entry has a 'Default' section which indicates what the default behaviour is.

Paresh

Hi Pkhatri,

Can you provide any documentation that indicates when a services is disabled by default it will not show on the running configuration?

Thank you,

Jeremy

Jeremy

You picked a very old discussion to insert your question. I would suggest that it might have been more productive to have started a new discussion. But you asked here and I will try to provide an answer. I do not have a document to point to that indicates that things that are disabled by default do not show up in running config. But I can assure you that this is true.

If you want to investigate what is disabled most Cisco devices have a command "show run all" and this output has ALL of the commands in the config, including things that are disabled.

HTH

Rick

Just to add a bit to Rick's posting.

Over the years, Cisco's IOS configurations, change what the default settings are AND/OR change what they display for configurations settings without using something like Rick's mention of "show run all".

I.e. there's a default setting for configuration commands and a default display option for what configuration commands are shown, including based on what their current setting is.

For example, way back, "service finger" was the default setting, later IOSs, I believe, now use "no service finger" for the default setting.

Also way back, when "service finger" was enabled, it was also the default display.  I.e. I recall [?] when "service finger" was not enabled, "no service finger" was not displayed (unless you did a "show run all").

I believe the converse is true for both default setting and default display, for "service finger", in the later IOS versions.

Why?

My guess is to align better with current best practices and/or what they believe is most useful for typical informational display.  (Think of something like "show run" as "sh x brief" and "show run all" as "sh x detail", with "sh x", in this case, being the same as "sho x brief".)

You also might try using "show run all" all the time, and determine if just "show run" seems more "user friendly".  ; )

(Cisco also sometimes makes other changes such as command syntax [i.e. for same exact function], adds commands, deprecates commands, moves a management port to its own VFR, etc.  I mention this because almost always, when you move to a newer release or version, IF IT'S NOT TOO HUGE A "JUMP", the IOS will automatically "translate" changed configuration commands to new usage; but moving back a release or version, can be problematic.)