Views
Helpful
Replies

Rate Limit without CEF b/c of Policy Routing

saif_farooq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently implemented Policy Routing over my Network which had redundant paths to reach to Main Site.

Now I want to implement Rate Limit Cisco Feature. But as far as I know, It is not possible to implement Rate Limit feature with CEF disabled since I was only able to make policy routing work,, I had to disable CEF on both Routers. Pls guide.

Regards,

Saif Farooq

saif_farooq@yahoo.com

2 Replies 2

olorunloba
Level 5
Level 5

Just ensure that you are using ver 12.0 or higher IOS. From 12.0, the IOS supports cef switched PBR. You will be able to enable cef and then rate limit.

Check

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c75d2.html

Hello,

I have been able to successfully implement policy routing in my network. Definately the URL that you fwd was helpful. One more thing which was very important to me was the interface config command"no ip route-cache cef". As without it although policy routing worked but only when I performed "no ip cef" on both routers.

Running,,ip cef is important to me as I have to implement rate-limit feature as well on the routers as it only work when "ip cef" is enabled.

Now I have also implemented basic level "rate-limit" i.e. by applying it on the serial interface for all input and output traffic.Now I am having problem if I want to apply "IP based rate-limit" by using extended IP access-lists. Therefore, pls guide me in this regard whether it is possible or not.

Regards,

Saif Farooq.

saif_farooq@yahoo.com