Views
Helpful
Replies

RE Need to use one of the LRE ports network connectivity

intertechusa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to figure how we are going to get the network connectivity to the LRE switch. We are planing on using LRE to connect 30 cabins to the Internet. All the phone lines run into one of the cabins which is where we plan on putting the LRE switch. But the Internet connectivity is in another building about 3500 feet away. I was thinking of running LRE to that building, put a 575 and connecting it into the router. Basically it's having only LRE going to the switch but one of the LRE ports provides the Internet access.

Does this setup sound feasible? I plan on setting the profile for all the cabins to keep the speed to below 2Mb and the profile for the CPE that connects to the Internet as fast as I can. The 2950 works just like a switch right? Are there any issues that might prevent this from working. My other alternative would be to run fiber to the switch and use media converters. I'm trying to keep the cost down.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Matthew Bryant
Level 1
Level 1

If cost is a factor, then that is what I would do. I don't like making LRE my backbone, but it works.

I don't see how fast your internet connection is, but if your running a T1, you might as well set the profiles as high as you can stability wise, so you can take advantage of the speed. Even the lowest profile is still faster than the t1 speed.

You can also VLAN out your traffic if you need to separate guests from admin.

And don't forget to hard set your speed and duplex from the 575 and the router. I've seen a few issues with the auto settings.

I have several customers using this scenario with Cisco's BBSM server to provide high speed internet to their hotel guests.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Matthew Bryant
Level 1
Level 1

If cost is a factor, then that is what I would do. I don't like making LRE my backbone, but it works.

I don't see how fast your internet connection is, but if your running a T1, you might as well set the profiles as high as you can stability wise, so you can take advantage of the speed. Even the lowest profile is still faster than the t1 speed.

You can also VLAN out your traffic if you need to separate guests from admin.

And don't forget to hard set your speed and duplex from the 575 and the router. I've seen a few issues with the auto settings.

I have several customers using this scenario with Cisco's BBSM server to provide high speed internet to their hotel guests.

Thanks! Just the answer I was looking for.