cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistributing Static routes - EIGRP and OSPF on same router

bourse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have a situation where I have multiple WAN routers running EIGRP. Each router redistributes its static routes into EIGRP. I now have to implement OSPF on two of the routers in order to communicate with another network. I will be redistributing EIGRP into OSPF (and vice versa) on these two routers. My question is that since I am already redistibuting my static routes into EIGRP, would there be any reason to also add a redistribute static to OSPF on these routers?

David.

2 Replies 2

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

I tried this on a couple of routers and the only way I could get the static routes to replicate in OSPF was to have a redistribute static directly into OSPF.

Yes you are right. The static routes injected into EIGRP by the other routers get redistributed since they are already in EIGRP when they get to the OSPF routers. On the routers that are directly connected to the OSPF network, I have to add a redistribute static in the OSPF process as well as the EIGRP process. In order to avoid any loops since the static routes are redistributed by EIGRP and OSPF, I have tagged the static routes redistributed into OSPF and I deny that tag when I redistribute OSPF back into EIGRP.

David.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card