Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacement catalyst 6500 switches under redundancy environment

snakayama
Level 3
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I plan to replace old core catalyst 6500 switches with new ones for the purpose of reinforcement.

Now two core catalyst 6500 switches are working under redundancy environment.

There are many catalyst 6500 switches as distribution switch connect to each core catalyst

6500 switches as attached.

I think there are two ways to replace core catalyst 6500 switches.

[One]

Replacing one core catalyst 6500 switches first, then one week later, replacing another core

catalyst 6500 switch. And all traffic will be handled another core catalyst 6500 switch automatically

by EIGRP routing during replacement.

Advantage:

One another core catalyst 6500 switch continues operating even if the replacement fail.

Disadvantage:

Two core catalyst 6500 switches will operate in a different version (CatOS, MSFC IOS) for one week.

Any problem might be happened due to this issue.

[Two]

Replacing both core catalyst 6500 switches at the same time.

Advantage:

Replacement will be finished at one time

Disadvantage:

If the replacement fail, whole network goes to down and it cause critical situation.

I have to replace successfully so I would like know good information about this, such as

best practice, case study and so on.

Your information would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

2 Replies 2

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

If I were you, I will go for option 1.

This option will give us the time to observe the traffic pattern, time to get the network and EIGRP to stabilize and even to check for any issues on the IOS part.

This will give you time frame to work out for any issue if it happens in between the weeks time.This will gibe you tha time to see for any imcompatibilty issues as such.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi,

Thank you very much for your information.

Regards,