Views
Helpful
Replies

request timeout

koan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have the same issue with the first post but maybe I am question my concern incorrectly. We have a Wan and i am at one of the two locations. I ping the other router (2600) and get a frequent 'request timeout' the verizon people said it's due to the csu/dsu. It there a way I can verify that?

Thanks,

Ko

10 Replies 10

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

what kind of wan link (frame, hdlc...)

do a show int s(n) where n is the slot that the

serial link runs. the last half of the display will

have stuff like transitions (up/down) and lead states

we have HDLC...

sorry if this is too much but here is a snap shot...

ry#show int serial0/0

Serial0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is PQUICC with Fractional T1 CSU/DSU

Internet address is *.*.*.* 1/24

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

reliablility 142/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)

Last input 00:00:00, output 00:00:00, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 04:13:01

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops

5 minute input rate 2000 bits/sec, 6 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 5000 bits/sec, 7 packets/sec

41051 packets input, 3412075 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 1797 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

9390706 input errors, 6279637 CRC, 3107893 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 317

6 abort

49552 packets output, 3625633 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 3 interface resets

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

0 carrier transitions

DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

Just the right amount.

I would suspect something along the lines of:

misconfigured dsu/csu (framing, encoding)

possible hardware failure.

what kind of circuit did you order ?

point to point t-1 ?

that is correct, it's a point to point t1.

if I did a 'test int serial0/0' it said 0 pass 1 Failed and the message said timeout problem...

Is this a more in deep sign?

much thanks again,

Ko

I aggree with the earlier post that said check framing and linecode. If this is frame relay you will also need to set the LMI type. Check with your telco for the framing and linecode they expect to see, generally for framing you would use esf and for linecode b8zs also clock source should be line. For an internal CSU/DSU, go to the serial interface in config mode and use the "service-module t1 ? " command, pretty easy to figure out from there.

jlucero
Level 1
Level 1

Telco folks will often tell you that the problem is with the CSU/DSU. Some times it is. Are they saying that you need to replace the CSU? Are you getting some replys to you ping. If so what you might have a bad circuit. Your best bet is to check CSU configuration, replace them if you can and see if you still have a problem.

thanks all,

Apparently all of the configurations,csu/dsu (internal--c2600 have been verified to be good. But when I ping from Point A to Point B. I get alot of timeout request. Can a bad nic cause this? If so, how can I check them? Basically can I bad traffic caused by the bad Nic affect the timeout request when I ping to the other location (I ping the router and a bdc over on the other side)

thanks again,

Ko

A nic won't cause this problem. looking at the show interface, you have either a provisioning problem

or a flaky dsu/csu.

amitsonik
Level 1
Level 1

If you can paste the configuration on the router, it will be easier to analyze the problem. Since you line protocol is up, I don't think that it is a problem with provisioning of the T1.

One thing that you can check is the static route, framing type and linecode. It should be ESF B8ZS.

thanks all,

It seem verizon has once again said they have a "Bad Low Speedcard." Hence, we experienced the timeout. They just came in today and replaced it and thus far we are up and running for a couple of hours... hope it's the last of problem.

Thanks again all...

ko

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card