cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset 5505 to factory

tate-brown
Level 1
Level 1

I recently inherited a network with no documentation and need to get into a 5505. Only problem is that I cannot reset the password because the console port seems to have been disabled. Tried a known good cable/db9 and various baud rates with no luck so my only alternative seems to be a factory reset. Since I cannot find the answer on Cisco's web site nor in the forum archives I am sending an SOS to you guys.

TIA

2 Replies 2

aderin
Level 1
Level 1

With consol port you would need a regural Cat 5 cable(568A or 568B)and a DB9 adapter that comes with the most Cisco routers.

To break the password, you would need to reboot the switch. Within first 20 seconds from the login prompt, you need to hit "enter" to every prompt that you see. It should put you into the Exec mode. Within the same timeframe issue commands to change the passwords (set enablepass for Exec mode and set password for console/telnet).

Old password: "enter"

New password: "enter"

Confirm new password: "enter"

This will make the password blank and you can set it to whatever you want later.

I hope it works for you.

yes, i agree.. u would need a cat 5 straight cable instead of the regular console cable... i think this applies if you have a sup-2

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card