Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP udpates not being added to routing table

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

Hello all

I have a customer whom has a 3550 L3 switch as the connection point in his DMZ. IP routing is enabled on the box; all machines in the DMZ connect to the switch, and use the same VLAN. All of them have the VLAN 3 address of the switch as their gateway.

I have a static route configured on the switch. I also have RIP updates coming into the switch from 2 sides.

I have set "debug ip rip ev" so that I could determine whether the RIP updates make it into the switch. They do.

When I then perform a "sho ip route" command; all I see in the routing table is the one statically configured route.

I know that Static routes are the preference, but it seems the RIP routes should also be added to the table and simply identified as learned via "R" vs. having the "S" for static...

Is this correct? should I also see the RIP routes in the table??

thx

2 Replies 2

zubairjalal
Level 1
Level 1

For learning routes from RIP, you need to have rip running on your L3 device.

router rip

network x.x.x.x

network x.x.x.x

But why is RIP required at your L3. Why do you want it to receive routes from RIP.

--Pls rate if useful--

Unlike some other vendors routers cisco only keeps the route with the best administative distance in the routing table. You must look in the routing protocols private routing table to see other than the active ones.

I suspect this was done to make it faster to process routing when the table is large. Now that the CEF FIB does most the routing I guess it is not as important but I doubt they will ever change it.