cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router or Switch

pfillips11
Level 1
Level 1

We have a requirement of 1Gbps routing throughput. It is kind of a metro ethernet connectivity and we need to run multiple BGP sessions over this 1Gig link. I am trying to find which device is suitable for the connectivity. 

Cisco ISR 4451-x meets the requirement from the router perspective.

But can we use Cisco 4500-x switch for this requirement? Looking at the specs it seems 4500-x is a better option and allows for more LAN ports as well.

The price difference is not high given that we do not have a requirement of ZBFW, IPSEC or WAAS. Though QoS may be an important requirement.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

Typically i think, a router is degined for routing though you can use some switching features as well. Similarly, a switch is desgined for switching but you can also do some routing on it.

Now comes to your case, since you don't need ZBFW, IPSEC or WAAS, MPLS etc, so in my point of view, you can go with 4500x, also it has more switching capacity than 4451-X.

rosaho
Level 3
Level 3

Posts in this discussion have been modified  due to possible misconduct. Please refer to the CSC terms of use for more details. https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/29951/cisco-support-community-acceptable-use-agreement